Emotional Behavior Disorders
I took some of the typical behaviors that come with Emotional Behavior Disorders and put them all on this page.
Aggressive Behaviors- We have found through much of our research that most aggressive behaviors occur within five minutes of coming in from high energy transitions (class changing times, recess, PE, etc.) What we found worked really well was to do these three things:
- Turn off the lights and put on a 60 watt bulb lamp on the teacher's desk
- Put a thought provoking question on the board about the next topic and ask all students to contemplate the answer for an every pupil response when the lights return
- Play three minutes of 60 beats per minute music (resting heart beat)
- Nature video with 60 beats per minute tune one- video one
- Nature video with 60 beats per minute tune two- video two
At one of my schools, we previously had 47 aggressive acts per day in an alternative school. We put these three interventions in place for one month and then relooked at our data. Our data showed only 2 aggressive acts one month later.
Building Relationships with Students
Stopping the Tantrum Behavior
We have found also that fluorescent lights set off behavior in some students and that installing these light panels have really helped decrease office discipline referrals: www.huelight.net
Research articles about fluorescent lights: